Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Artist Highlight: Mona Waterhouse


Mona Waterhouse, Unfolding: Women's Work detail,
 reconstructed dolies, sprayed abaca pulp, fabric, wax and colored thread
Image courtesy of the artist


In my art work I combine hand made paper with wax, pigment, and mixed media to create encaustic paintings, sculptures, photo based art, and installations. I started to use wax and pigment in my work over twenty years ago, when there was little information on how to work with it. It still fascinates me and most of my work incorporates wax and pigment in some form.

As a
native of Sweden, a large part of my childhood was spent in the forests, and among the many lakes scattered throughout the landscape. It is there that my love and concern for nature began, and it is not surprising that I use it as subject matter in my work, and that paper made from plants, wax and pigment are my foundation.


Mona Waterhouse



No comments: